DECLUTTER YOUR HOME
We receive hundreds of calls a year from homeowners just like yourself, needing dumpsters for one purpose: to de-clutter their home. Since we’ve been doing this for a while, we've picked up a few tricks along the way that we now want to share with you here!
Here are a few suggestions:
- What to Keep, What to Toss: When you have finally sorted out the items in your home, begin to put them in the following categories: things to keep, things to donate, and things to toss. Remember, by donating to places such as Habitat for Humanity ReStore, you can also turn those donations into tax deductions! It's the ultimate win-win!
- Pace Yourself: As Bobby Brown says, Take it Slow.The same applies to a de-cluttering project. Don't try and do too much at once. Pick one room and finish it before moving on to the next.
- Speed Past Memory Lane: It can be extremely difficult to throw away items that have sentimental value. Once you've come to terms with the fact you haven't laid eyes on this object for more than 20 years, snap a picture of it and toss it into the dumpster!
- Prepare Yourself: Have a game-plan for where you are going to put the items you keep and donate. Organize some (but not too many) containers to be set aside in a room that you're planning on keeping.
- Make a List: Start this journey by jotting down a list of the rooms you wish to organize, the space you wish to clear out, and the things to sort through. As you complete these tasks, cross them off and move on to the next one.
- Professional Guidance: The internet is a valuable resource when it comes to decluttering. From helping you create your checklist to tackling specific de-cluttering projects, there is no home organization subject that isn't addressed somewhere online. Simply search "De-clutter", and get to work!
To discover more de-cluttering tips and to learn more about living an organized lifestyle check out the Bin There Dump That blog!